One of the most common issues that is seen in people of almost every age group is abdominal pain. This can range from minor discomfort to severe pain. Do you also feel the pain every now and then and wonder about the causes behind it? If yes, then you must know that there are several factors that can be the reason behind it, but you can identify your pain depending on the location, intensity, and duration of the pain.
In general, this agony is not that severe, but in rare cases, it can risk your overall physical health. So, are you curious about the symptoms, causes, prevention measures, and treatment to get rid of abdominal pain? You must read below to explore the same and implement effective ways to promote better abdominal health.
Signs Of Abdominal Pain
Understanding the signs of abdominal pain can help you identify its causes and seek the appropriate care. Here, we will see the common signs and symptoms of abdominal pain in a way that’s easy to understand.
- Severe cramps during the menstrual cycle
- Pain in half of the abdomen
- The color of your skin gets yellow
- You may have a high fever
- You may get the feeling of nausea and vomiting often
- You start losing your weight
- The abdominal area gets tender and swollen
How To Diagnose An Abdominal Pain?
There are some physical examinations and tests that can help you to diagnose your abdominal pain. The pain can be because of physical or mental factors; hence, it is best to get the correct diagnosis of pain so that you may get the correct treatment. If the condition of the abdominal is serious then there are certain tests that you must go through to diagnose the cause:
- You have to get an X-ray of your abdomen.
- Urine and blood are the first elements to get tested
- CT report of the abdomen will be needed.
- Ultrasound of the abdomen
- You may have to go through an electrocardiogram or ECG process
What Causes Abdominal Pain?
There are multiple causes of abdominal pain, among which few are not that serious and can be treated with over-the-counter medications. Some of the common causes are constipation, diverticulitis, peptic ulcer, pancreatitis, and irritable bowel syndrome. You can get relief from them by consuming supplements and pain relief drugs as per the prescription of your doctor.
Some other causes that can be the reasons for severe pain and need medical attention are twisting of the testicle or ovary tissues, intestine or stomach perforation, and aortic aneurysm rupture. These causes need medical care, so you must visit the doctor in case of severe abdominal pain, as waiting can lead to drastic impacts.
Some other causes that can be potential reasons for your abdominal pain are:
- Presence of stone in your kidney.
- When you have gastric problems.
- Consumption of food items to which you are allergic.
- If you have pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Infection in the urine tract (UTI)
- When the food is not digested.
- You are having a menstrual cramp. Suffering from diseases like hernia, ulcerative colitis, endometriosis, celiac disease, or gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- In the case of pancreatic, stomach, and liver cancer.
Medication Necessary To Treat Abdominal Pain
There are typically four types of treatments recommended when it comes to abdominal pain- self-care measures, surgeries, complementary therapies, and medication options. The treatment that you will need is dependent upon the cause and severity of your pain.
How To Treat By Yourself?
- Do not eat any solid food for some time.
- Lay on the bed until the pain subsides.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Do not consume items such as dairy products, fatty foods, tomatoes, citrus fruits, alcohol, and caffeine.
The Medicines That You Must Take
- If you have an infection, then you must take antibiotics.
- Prescribed drugs that can relieve you from inflammation.
For severe diseases like hernia, appendicitis, cancer, etc., you might have to go through surgeries and other procedures. This will be decided by your doctor after carefully diagnosing and considering the condition of your abdominal pain.
Abdominal pain can be a complex symptom with numerous causes and can be hard to determine sometimes. However, specialists and healthcare providers can give you the proper diagnosis and correct treatment, so in case your pain worsens, you must immediately go and see the doctor. Also, you must be careful and avoid the factors that trigger your abdominal pain to maintain overall health.