Ginger ale is one of those carbonated drinks that are considered healthy as compared to other soft drinks. This drink is mainly made of ginger and sugar that are mixed in fermented water and offer a sweet and spicy flavor. Ginger ale is commonly used by people who are suffering from nausea or upset stomachs.
This fermented drink has been around for several years, and people are now concerned about its health benefits. In this regard, let’s find out its ingredients and whether it has any side effects.
What Ginger Ale, Exactly Is?
As we have discussed previously, ginger ale is a carbonated drink that is made with carbonated water, ginger, and sugar. It was made by the Irish apothecary and surgeon Thomas Joseph Cantrell in the 1850s. The first ginger ale was golden in color and generally sweet to taste with a strong ginger flavor.
Later on, John J. McLaughlin, a Canadian chemist and pharmacist, created the Pale Dry ginger ale in 1907. This carbonated drink became famous in the United States during the prohibition era. People used it as a mixture for alcoholic beverages due to its bubbly texture.
Both beverages are made of fragments from microbes like yeast or ginger bugs. The drink contains ginger root as the main ingredient, which is sweetened with sugar, and other flavors are added to the fragmented water.
This can be made at home or available commercially, but it contains high sugar, which is usually not healthy for humans.
Do Ginger Ale Provides Benefits To Human Beings
Well, don’t get confused with the name ginger ale, and believe that it will also provide the same nutritional benefits as ginger. Hence, comparing both “ginger and ginger ale,” ginger is a popular spice that is widely used in various dishes and medical treatments, while ginger ale is just a soda drink. They both differ in their nutrient content, where ginger alone is more nutritive than its carbonate drinks.
Still, ginger ale is being used by people due to its potential health benefits, which are discussed below:
- For so long, it has been an effective treatment option for nausea that is usually associated with a stomach problem and migraine.
- Due to its beneficial outcome in morning sickness, ginger ale is also recommended to pregnant women to reduce the feeling of vomiting, vertigo, and irritability.
- Some studies have also found that ginger ale stimulates the production of digestive enzymes like trypsin and chymotrypsin, which play a crucial role in digestion.
- Regular consumption of ginger ale can also increase the FoxP3 gene while decreasing the expression of RORyt and T-bet genes, which help manage rheumatoid arthritis.
- Additionally, ginger ale is believed to provide relief from sore throat and help fight against hangover.
Ginger ale can only be beneficial when you choose the right ginger-carbonated drink. Several carbonated ginger drinks are available in the market, so it is essential to identify the right one.
Which Type Of Ginger Ale Must You Choose?
Ginger ale can be prepared at home and even available in the market. Since it is being manufactured for the first time, you can find several brands that make ginger ale. But there are mainly three types of ginger ale drinks that can be either prepared at home or purchased from the market.
- First comes the regular ginger ale, which refers to both traditional and soda-content permanent drinks.
- The second type is dry ginger ale, which is made with processed ginger and is more specific than regular ginger ale.
- And last, ginger ale is for a perfect diet where high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar is used.
What Are The Potential Side Effects Of Ginger Ale?
Though it is considered the ideal option to treat various health issues like nausea, it still holds some side effects. It is good to consume a glass of ginger ale every day, but excessive consumption can cause bloating and diarrhea. Ginger-carbonated drinks that contain preservatives can increase inflammation and even interfere with blood clotting.
Ginger ale is considered as one of the healthiest carbonated drinks for a long time. It offers various health benefits, from treating nausea and upset stomach to fighting against hangovers. Besides this, it also has some potential side effects like bloating, diarrhea, and even blood clotting.