We all want that perfect figure and possibly do everything to get it! Welcome to the Keto Diet which most of us know about. Did you know keto is short-term used for a ketogenic diet? Many people know and practice this to get that perfect figure. Apart from helping you lose weight it also has numerous benefits and we are here to unlock them like a pro!
This is a diet- don’t take it like a challenge but something you would enjoy. It revolves around a few principles that are- have a high-fat regime of food, low carb and you’re all set for the keto! The body is said to burn fat faster than carbs hence the concept came around of Ketogenesis.
Let’s explore some of the benefits and foods that are involved in the Keto diet and how it’s a miracle for most of us. We will also go through some of the risk factors and see how to make the most of the diet!
Unpacking The Keto Diet
The ketogenic diet’s core premise involves a significant shift in macronutrient intake, consisting of:
- High Fat: Did you know that it’s all about fat? The diet is said to give around 70-80% of the fat to the body but not just any fat- it’s just about healthy fat! Healthy fats can come from nuts, seeds, coconut oil, olive oil and fish. There are other sources as well- it’s all about eating healthy fats.
- Moderate Protein: Protein should always be your priority. You cannot do anything without it- especially if you want to get muscle mass and hence the consumption should be around 20-25%. That should be taken in your diet properly from sources like lean beef, chicken, fish, and more.
- Very Low Carbohydrates: Carbs should not be avoided completely and hence are required around 5-10%. You can get them from leafy greens like broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, and cucumber!
Keto-Friendly Food Choices
Now those people who think we don’t have enough food options are wrong! We do have a lot of good food choices for the keto diet and here is the preferred menu:
- Healthy Fats: Get healthy things from nuts, seeds, avocados, fatty fish, and more- these are the fats you’ll love to add to your diet! Who doesn’t like cashews and raisins during a diet? Almonds, raisins, walnuts, and cashews are everyone’s favorite treat so grab a bowl now!
- Lean Proteins: Favor lean meats such as chicken, turkey, and beef cuts with lower fat content. You can also have fish which most people like to include.
- Non-Starchy Vegetables: Add all the green vegetables and you’ll be sorted. They are low in carbs and offer essential nutrients. You can also add some fruits to your diet like berries, and oranges. These are low carbs and are good to go!
- Dairy: Some dairy products like full-fat yogurt and cheese can be integrated in moderation, but it’s important to monitor carbohydrate intake.
Advantages Of The Keto Diet
The keto diet has gained notoriety primarily due to its potential benefits:
- Weight Loss: A major draw for the keto diet is its effectiveness in shedding excess weight. By shifting the body’s primary energy source from carbohydrates to fat, it fuels weight loss efforts.
- Improved Blood Sugar Control: Some individuals with type 2 diabetes may experience stabilized blood sugar levels with the keto diet.
- Enhanced Mental Clarity: Ketones are believed to offer a consistent source of energy for the brain, resulting in improved mental focus and clarity.
- Increased Energy: Many keto enthusiasts report heightened and sustained energy levels throughout the day, contributing to productivity and overall well-being.
Risks And Considerations
While the keto diet holds promise, it’s not exempt from potential drawbacks and considerations:
- Nutrient Deficiencies: Strict adherence to the keto diet can potentially lead to nutrient deficiencies due to restrictions on certain food groups. Ensuring you obtain all essential vitamins and minerals may necessitate careful planning.
- Keto Flu: The transition into ketosis may bring about temporary flu-like symptoms in some individuals, including headaches, fatigue, and irritability.
- Gastrointestinal Issues: A sudden surge in fat consumption may lead to digestive discomfort, manifesting as diarrhea or constipation in some individuals. Dietary adjustments can help manage these issues.
- Potential Heart Health Concerns: Concerns regarding heart health may arise from the high intake of saturated fats in some keto diets. Opting for healthier fats and monitoring cholesterol levels is crucial.
We do not have to worry about anything else but just make sure the body gets under the process of Ketosis. It is a diet and should not be an obligation that you need to fulfill! The goal is weight loss and being healthy at the same time! Happy Keto!