news, features, articles and disease information for the crop industry


Canada: Burning Crop Residue Requires Authorisation

01 August 2012

CANADA - Weather conditions through this spring and early summer have resulted in many crops maturing quickly and allowing for early harvest.

Manitoba Agriculture, Food and Rural Initiatives (MAFRI) encourages producers to consider alternative uses for crop residue. Through the Growing Forward programme, incentives have been established to encourage farmers to move away from the practice of stubble burning.

Many producers use alternative methods of dealing with crop residue such as chopping and spreading the straw or listing straw they have for sale on the Manitoba Hay Listing Service. More information on these and other alternative methods of dealing with crop residue is available here.

Producers who choose to burn crop residue are reminded that authorisation is required to burn crop residue between August 1 and November 15. Authorisations are issued daily by 11 am based on weather, moisture and favourable smoke dispersion conditions. Night burning is banned year-round.

Burning permits may be required for non-authorised rural municipalities. Permit application forms and information are available by calling the toll-free information line at 1-800-265-1233. Service is available in French and English. Information is also available from MAFRI GO offices and on the Internet at Manitoba Crop Residue Burning programme.

Manitoba's controlled burning programme is part of the Burning of Crop Residue and Non-crop Herbage Regulation. The programme was introduced to protect public health and safety while allowing farmers to deal with difficult straw management problems.

Producers are encouraged to contact their local agricultural office for information and advice on crop residue burning.

Stubble burning regulations are enforced by environment officers and the RCMP. Failure to follow the regulations could result in fines of up to C$50,000.

TheCropSite News Desk

Our Sponsors